In reading and interpreting a calendar we need to know days in a week, days in a month and months in a year.
There are 7 days in a week. The first day of the week is Sunday.
The seven days of a week are:
We also know that there are 12 months in a year. The first month of the year is January.
The 12 months of the year are:
All the months have different numbers of days.
These are the number of days each month has:
(i) January = 31 days
(ii) February = 28/29 days
(iii) March = 31 days
(iv) April = 30 days
(v) May = 31 days
(vi) June = 30 days
(vii) July = 31 days
(viii) August = 31 days
(ix) September = 30 days
(x) October = 31 days
(xi) November = 30 days
(xii) December = 31 days
Thus 7 months have 31 days each; 4 months have 30 days each, only the
month of February has 28 days ordinarily. But in a leap year, the month
of February has 29 days.
In an ordinary year, the numbers of days are
(7 x 31) + (4 x 30) + (1 x 28)
= 217 + 120 + 28
= 365 days.
But a leap year (in which February is of 29 days) has 217 + 120 + 29 = 366 days.
To remember the number of days in different months, we may remember the following rhyme:
“Thirty days have September, April, June and November.
February alone has twenty eight, all the rest have thirty one.
But leap year coming once in four, February has one day more."
A year which is divisible by 4 is a leap year. As, 1988, 1992, 1996,
2000, 2004 all are divisible by 4, so these are leap years.
A leap year has 366 days and the month of February is of 29 days in such a year.
The calendar of a year shows all the above mentioned facts. We may gather different information with the help of a calendar.
Here is a Calendar for 2011.
We can count the number of days between the given two dates. We include the starting day and the last day in our calculation.
1. How many days are there from 5th March to 12th April?
Let us count the number of days from the given date.
Number of days in March = 31 – 4
= 27 days
Number of days in April = 12
Total number of days = 27 + 12
= 39 days
2. Shelly went on vacation from 15th April for 20 days. On what date will she return to work?
Number of days remaining in April = 30 – 14
= 16 days
Number of holidays left = 20 – 16 = 4 days
4 days after 30th April is 4th May
She will return to work on 5th May.
Questions and answers on Interpreting a Calendar:
I. Fill in the blanks:
(i) Number of months in a year ……………….
(ii) Number of minutes in a week ……………….
(iii) Number of weeks in a year ……………….
(iv) Number of weeks and days in 45 days ……………….
(v) Number of hours in a week ……………….
(vi) Number of weeks and days in 70 days ……………….
II. Answer the following:
1. What is the date, twelve days after twentieth of September?
2. If 7 August, 2018 was a Tuesday, what was the day on 30 July, 2018?
3. Harry’s summer vacations are starting from 2nd June. The school will open after 4 weeks 5 days. On which date is his school reopening?
4. How many months have 30 days? Name them.
5. Ron was on leave from 17 August to 4 September. Find the number of days Ron was on leave.
6. How many days are there from 25 March to 14 May?
7. How many days are there from 28 December to 3 February?
I. (i) 12
(ii) 10080 minutes
(iv) 6 weeks 3 days
(vi) 10 weeks
II. 1. 2nd October
3. 4th July
4. 4, April, June, September and November
5. 19 days