Changing Fractions

In changing fractions we will discuss how to change fractions from improper fraction to a whole or mixed number, from mixed number to an improper fraction, from whole number into an improper fraction.

Changing an improper fraction to a whole number or mixed number:

Here we will learn about changing an improper fraction to a whole or mixed number.

Changing Fractions

Cut out three circle of the same size. 

Fold each circle in four. 

Shade 4 parts from the first circle, 4 parts from the second circle and one part from the third circle.

Total parts shaded = 9 we have 9/4 parts.

Total parts in each circle 4 which is really 21/4 parts.


When the numerator of a fraction is greater than the denominator, the fraction is greater than 1. This can be written as mixed number.

Changing improper fractions to mixed numbers by dividing the numerator with the denominator.

1. 9/4

Changing Improper Fractions

= 21/4
Therefore, 9/4 = 21/4

2. 24/10 Try to reduce the numerator and denominator by a common denominator.

24/10 ÷ 2/2 = 12/5

Now divide numerator by denominator.

Improper Fractions to Mixed Numbers

= 22/5

Improper fraction


Mixed number


Sometimes an improper fraction change into a whole number when there is no remainder.

3. 16/2 ÷ 2/2 = 8/1 = 8


When the denominator is 1 in an improper fraction, it becomes a whole number.

Changing a mixed number to an improper fraction:

Mother said I had eaten 31/2 chocolates.
This is what I took : 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 = 7 halves
                         = 7/2

But I looked carefully. I had eaten 3 full + 1/2 chocolate.

Let us learn the mathematical way of changing mixed numbers to improper fractions.

Mixed numbers   Denominator   ×   Whole numbers   Numerator
        51/2         =        2            ×           5            +           1     =  11/2

Multiply denominator and whole number 5.

2 × 5 = 10

Mixed numbers


Improper fraction


Add the numerator 10 + 1 = 11

This becomes the new numerator.

The old denominator remains.

Changing a whole number into an improper fraction:

Whole number


Improper fraction


Since the denominator shows total parts and anything whole is out of 1 part, the improper fraction is formed by using 1 as the denominator.

1. Convert the given fractions to mixed fractions:

(i) \(\frac{11}{2}\)

(ii) \(\frac{15}{9}\)

(iii) \(\frac{25}{4}\)

(iv) \(\frac{57}{7}\)


1. (i) 5\(\frac{1}{2}\)

(ii) 1\(\frac{6}{9}\)

(iii) 6\(\frac{1}{4}\)

(iv) 8\(\frac{1}{7}\)

2. Convert the given mixed fractions to improper fractions:

(i) 3\(\frac{5}{6}\)

(ii) 7\(\frac{2}{9}\)

(iii) 5\(\frac{3}{4}\)

(iv) 8\(\frac{2}{3}\)


2. (i) \(\frac{23}{6}\)

(ii) \(\frac{65}{9}\)

(iii) \(\frac{23}{4}\)

(iv) \(\frac{26}{3}\)

You might like these

Related Concept

4th Grade Math Activities

From Changing Fractions to HOME PAGE

New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below. Ask a Question or Answer a Question.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Or want to know more information about Math Only Math. Use this Google Search to find what you need.

Share this page: What’s this?