In word problems on area of a rectangle we will find the area whose length and breadth are given. For finding the area of a given rectangle, we should make sure that the sides (length or breadth) are in the same unit of length. If they are given in different units, change them to the same unit.
10 mm = 1 cm
100 cm = 1 m
1000 m = 1 km
Word problems on area of a rectangle:
1. Find the area of a rectangle of length 78 mm and breadth 26 mm.
Length of a rectangle = 78 mm.
Breadth of a rectangle = 26 mm.
Area of a rectangle = length × breadth
= 78 × 26 sq mm.
= 2028 sq mm.
2. Finding the area of a rectangle whose length is 12 cm and
breadth 9 cm.
Length of the rectangle = 12 cm
Breadth of the rectangle = 9 cm
Area of the rectangle = 12 × 9 cm2
= 108 cm2
3. Find the area of a rectangle of length 43 m and breadth 13 m.
Length of a rectangle = 43 m.
Breadth of a rectangle = 13 m.
Area of a rectangle = l × b
= 43 × 13 sq m.
= 559 sq m.
4. The area of a rectangle is 48 cm2. If its breadth is 6 cm then find its length.
Area of rectangle = 48 cm2
Breadth of rectangle = 6 cm
Length of rectangle = Area of the rectangle/Breadth of the rectangle
= 48 cm2/6 cm
= 8 cm
Therefore, the length of the rectangle is 8 cm.
5. How many pieces of stone slabs each 26 cm long and 10 cm broad will be require to lay a path 260 m long and 15 m wide.
For each slab, length = 26 cm, breadth = 10 cm
Therefore, the area of a slab = length × breadth
= 26 cm × 10 cm
= 260 cm2
For the path, length = 26 cm, breadth = 15 m
Therefore, the area of the path = 260 × 15 × 10000 cm2
Therefore, required number of slabs = Area of path/Are of each slab
= 260 × 15 × 10000/260
Therefore, 150000 slabs will be required.`