Definition of Non-terminating Decimal:
While expressing a fraction in the decimal form, when we perform division we get some remainder. If the division process does not end i.e. we do not get the remainder equal to zero; then such decimal is known as non-terminating decimal.
In some cases, a digit or a block of digits repeats itself in the decimal part. Such decimals are called non-terminating repeating decimals or pure recurring decimals. These decimal numbers are represented by putting a bar on the repeated part.
Example of Non-terminating Decimal:(a) 2.666... is a non-terminating repeating decimal and can be expressed as 2.6.
Calculating Non Terminating Decimals:
Using long division method, we will observe the steps in calculating 5/3.
• In some cases at least one of the digits after the decimal point is not repeated and some digit/digits are repeated, such decimals are called mixed recurring decimals.
Examples of mixed recurring decimals are:(a) 3.1444... = 3.14
Solved examples on non-terminating decimal:
Find the decimal representation of 16/45.
Using long division method, we get
Therefore, 0.3555... = 0.35 and is a mixed recurring decimal.
● Related Concept
● Conversion of Unlike Decimals to Like Decimals
● Decimal and Fractional Expansion
● Converting Decimals to Fractions
● Converting Fractions to Decimals
● H.C.F. and L.C.M. of Decimals
● Repeating or Recurring Decimal
● BODMAS/PEMDAS Rules - Involving Decimals
● PEMDAS Rules - Involving Integers
● PEMDAS Rules - Involving Decimals
● BODMAS Rules - Involving Integers
● Conversion of Pure Recurring Decimal into Vulgar Fraction
● Conversion of Mixed Recurring Decimals into Vulgar Fractions
● Rounding Decimals to the Nearest Whole Number
● Rounding Decimals to the Nearest Tenths
● Rounding Decimals to the Nearest Hundredths
● Simplify Decimals Involving Addition and Subtraction Decimals
● Multiplying Decimal by a Decimal Number
● Multiplying Decimal by a Whole Number
● Dividing Decimal by a Whole Number
● Dividing Decimal by a Decimal Number
7th Grade Math Problems
From Non-Terminating Decimal to HOME PAGE
Didn't find what you were looking for? Or want to know more information about Math Only Math. Use this Google Search to find what you need.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below. Ask a Question or Answer a Question.