Word problems on percentage will help us to solve various types of problems related to percentage. Follow the procedure to solve similar type of percent problems.
Word problems on percentage:
1. In an exam Ashley secured 332 marks. If she secured 83 % makes, find the maximum marks.
Let the maximum marks be m.
Ashley’s marks = 83% of m
Ashley secured 332 marks
Therefore, 83% of m = 332
⇒ 83/100 × m = 332
⇒ m = (332 × 100)/83
⇒ m =33200/83
⇒ m = 400
Therefore, Ashley got 332 marks out of 400 marks.
2. An alloy contains 26 % of copper. What quantity of alloy is required to get 260 g of copper?
Let the quantity of alloy required = m g
Then 26 % of m =260 g
⇒ 26/100 × m = 260 g
⇒ m = (260 × 100)/26 g
⇒ m = 26000/26 g
⇒ m = 1000 g
3. There are 50 students in a class. If 14% are absent on a particular day, find the number of students present in the class.
Number of students absent on a particular day = 14 % of 50
i.e., 14/100 × 50 = 7
Therefore, the number of students present = 50 - 7 = 43 students.
4. In a basket of apples, 12% of them are rotten and 66 are in good condition. Find the total number of apples in the basket.
Let the total number of apples in the basket be m
12 % of the apples are rotten, and apples in good condition are 66
Therefore, according to the question,
88% of m = 66
⟹ 88/100 × m = 66
⟹ m = (66 × 100)/88
⟹ m = 3 × 25
⟹ m = 75
Therefore, total number of apples in the basket is 75.
5. In an examination, 300 students appeared. Out of these students; 28 % got first division, 54 % got second division and the remaining just passed. Assuming that no student failed; find the number of students who just passed.
The number of students with first division = 28 % of 300
= 28/100 × 300
And, the number of students with second division = 54 % of 300
= 54/100 × 300
Therefore, the number of students who just passed = 300 – (84 + 162)
Questions and Answers on Word Problems on Percentage:
1. In a class 60% of the students are girls. If the total number of students is 30, what is the number of boys?
2. Emma scores 72 marks out of 80 in her English exam. Convert her marks into percent.
3. Mason was able to sell 35% of his vegetables before noon. If Mason had 200 kg of vegetables in the morning, how many grams of vegetables was he able to see by noon?
Answer: 70 kg
4. Alexander was able to cover 25% of 150 km journey in the morning. What percent of journey is still left to be covered?
Answer: 112.5 km
5. A cow gives 24 l milk each day. If the milkman sells 75% of the milk, how many liters of milk is left with him?
Answer: 6 l
6. While shopping Grace spent 90% of the money she had. If she had $ 4500 on shopping, what was the amount of money she spent?
Answer: $ 4050
Percentage of the given Quantity
How much Percentage One Quantity is of Another?
Real Life Problems on Percentage
8th Grade Math Practice
From Word Problems on Percentage to HOME PAGE
Didn't find what you were looking for? Or want to know more information about Math Only Math. Use this Google Search to find what you need.
Worksheet on Fraction into Percentage
Worksheet on Percentage into Fraction
Worksheet on Percentage into Ratio
Worksheet on Ratio into Percentage
Worksheet on Percentage into Decimal
Worksheet on Percentage of a Number
Worksheet on Finding Value of a Percentage
Worksheet on Percentage of a Given Quantity
Worksheet on Word Problems on Percentage
Worksheet on Increase Percentage
Worksheet on Decrease Percentage
Worksheet on increase and Decrease Percentage
Worksheet on Expressing Percent
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below. Ask a Question or Answer a Question.