Basic concept on addition word problems – 2-digit numbers without regrouping for 2nd graders. Students need to read the questions carefully and find the sums of these 2-digit by 2-digit addition problems without carrying.
1. Kelly has 31 candies. Her sister gave her 23 candies. How many candies did Kelly have now altogether?
Number of candies Kelly has = 31
Number of candies her sister gave her = 23
Therefore, total number of candies Kelly have = 31 + 23 = 54
2. Ken gets 43 marks in the first test. He gets 35 marks in the second test. How many marks does he get in all?
Number of marks Ken gets in the first test = 43
Number of marks Ken gets in the second test = 35
Therefore, total number of marks Ken gets in all = 43 + 35 = 78
3. Sam has 51 pencils. His brother Ron has 36 pencils. How many pencils do they have altogether?
Number of pencils Sam has = 51
Number of pencils Ron has = 36
Therefore, total number of pencils do they have in all = 51 + 36 = 87
4. If one number is 39 and the other number is 60. What is the sum of those two numbers?
One number = 39
Other number = 60
Therefore, sum of those two numbers = 39 + 60 = 99
5. In a classroom there are 40 boys and 39 girls. How many students are there in the classroom in all?
Number of boys in the classroom = 40
Number of girls in the classroom = 39
Therefore, total number of students in the classroom = 40 + 39 = 79
These are the five worked-out examples on addition word problems – 2-digit numbers without regrouping.
Questions and Answers on 2-Digit Addition Word Problems:
1. Richard scored 88 runs in the first match and 62 in the second match in the inter-school games. Find the total number of runs scored by him in the two matches.
2. In a library there are 58 books in a bookshelf. 18 more books are put in the bookshelf later on. How many books are there in all?
3. There are 93 mango trees and 56 coconut trees in a garden. How many trees are there in all?
4. Adam scored 92 marks in mathematics class test and 96 marks in science class test. How many mark Adam scored in both the tests together?
5. In a School festival Nairitee sold 90 tickets for a play on the first day. She sold 69 tickets on the second day. How many tickets she sold in both the days together?