Rules for writing money in words and figure:
1. Abbreviation used for a rupee is Re. and for 1-rupee it is Re. 1
2. Rupees is written in short, as Rs., as 5-rupees is written as Rs. 5
3. For paisa we write P. It is written after the number of Paisa.
50 paisa is written as 50 p
8 paisa is written as 8 p
4. Suppose we have to write a sum of money involving both rupees and paisa. So to express an amount consisting of both rupees and paisa, we use a small point which is called a decimal point. The numeral indicating rupees is written before this point and the numeral indicating paisa is written after the point. We write Rs. before the number of numerals.
(i) 10 rupees, 40 paisa is written as Rs. 10.40
(ii) 8 rupees, 25 paisa is written as Rs. 8.25
(iii) 128 rupees, 43 paisa is written as Rs. 128.43
(iv) If the given number of paisa is in one digit, then it is made a two-digit numeral by putting 0 before the single digit.
7 rupees, 5 paisa is written as Rs. 7.05
12 rupees, 7 paisa is written as Rs. 12.07
5. (i) If the money is only in rupees, it is written as
8 rupees = Rs. 8 or Rs. 8.00
15 rupees = Rs. 15 or Rs. 15.00
(ii) If the money is only in paisa, it is written as
45 paisa = Re. 0.45 or 45 P
56 paisa = Re. 0.56 or 56 P
So, 8 paisa = Re. 0.08
35 paisa = Re. 0.35 or 35 P
These are the rules needed to follow while writing money in words and figure (rupees and paisa).