Practice the questions given in the worksheet on word problem on measuring mass (i.e. addition and subtraction). Addition and subtraction in grams and kilograms is done in the similar way as in the case of ordinary numbers.
1. Jason purchased 7 kg 200 g of sugar, 9 kg 395 g of rice. What is the total weight which Jason carried?
2. Rachel bought 8 kg 400 g tomatoes, 2 kg 130 g brinjal and 7 kg 300 g watermelon from the green grocer. How many kilograms of fruits and vegetables did she buy?
3. A rickshaw-puller is carrying two persons weighting 52 kg 250 g and 37 kg 700 g. What is the total weight of the two persons carried by the rickshaw-puller?
4. The total weight of Tania’s bag is 45 kg 750 g and Diana’s bag is 43 kg 950 g. Whose bag is heavier and by how much?
5. A truck was loaded with 352 kg 100 g of pumpkins and 207 kg 432 g of watermelons. Find the total weight carried by the truck.
6. Weight of a pile of English newspaper is 16 kg 270 g and that of French newspaper is 18 kg 227 g. If both the piles are tied together, what will be the total weight of the bundle?
7. A shopkeeper sold 67 kg 626 g of wheat on Saturday and 125 kg 200 g of wheat on Sunday. Find the total weight of wheat sold on both the days.
8. A grocer puts apples and plums together on the weighing machine. The total weight shown on the machine is 8 kg. If the weight of the plums is 2 kg 700 g, then what is the weight of the apples?
9. Jasmine purchased 7 kg 302 g of rice and Melissa purchased 3 kg 598 g more. What quantity of rice did Jasmine and Melissa purchase?
10. The weight of a chocolate carton is 20 kg. Each carton has 10 packets. Each packet has 25 chocolates. How many chocolates are there? Find the weight of each chocolate presuming that weight of carton and packets is negligible.
11. Brian sold 123 kg 231 g of newspapers and 200 kg of magazines. Find the total quantity of articles sold.
12. Ron takes care of deer and wild bulls in the zoo. The deer weighs 182 kg 290 g and a wild bull weighs 753 kg 380 g. Answer the given questions.
(i) If the both the animals stand on a weighing machine together what will be the total weight shown on the machine?
(ii) By how much is a bull heavier than deer?
(iii) If a deer eats 15 kg 250 g grass in a week. How much grass will be eaten by a deer in 42 days?
13. Aaron weight 49 kg 357 g and Ron weights 32 kg 458 g. Who weighs less and by how much?
14. If the total weight of 24 bulls having same weight is 487200 kg. What is the weight of each bull?
15. Father bought 10 kg 750 g of fruits (mangoes and apples). He had 6 kg 860 g of mangoes. What is the weight of apples?
16. Nina bought 5 kg of fruits. On the way home, she ate 750 g of fruits. How much fruit did she take back home?
17. Nancy brought a cake weighing 5 kg 675 g. Approximately 2 kg 395 g of cake is distributed among the children. What quantity of cake is left?
18. Rita weighs 13 kg 250 g. Her elder brother is three times heavier than Rita. What is her brother’s weight?
19. Mother purchased 9 kg 357 g of sweets and snacks for the occasion. Out of which 6 kg 458 g were consumed. What quantity of sweets and snacks were left?
20. A box can carry a total weight of 27 kg. Candies have to be packed inside the box. If the weight of each candy is 30 g, how many candies can be packed inside the box?
21. A shopkeeper purchased 287 kg 500 g of orange. Later on, he found that 98 kg 300 g of oranges were rotten. Find the quantity of oranges in good condition.
22. A lift can withstand a weight of 500 kg. There are 7 people standing to go in the lift. Given below are their weights. Find out if all of them can go inside the lift altogether. If no, then why?
23. Mary weighs 63 kg 59 g and Alex weighs 59 kg 36 g. Who weighs less and by how much?
24. Kellie’s weight is 55 kg 330 g. The doctor says that according to her height, her weight should be 62 kg. How much weight should she gain?
25. How much heavier is the toffee packet which has mass 1 kg 845 g in comparison to 500 g of chocolates?
Answers for the worksheet on word problem on measuring mass (i.e. addition and subtraction) are given below.
1. 16 kg 595 g
2. 17 kg 830 g
3. 89 kg 950 g
4. Tania’s bag is 1 kg 800 g
5. 559 kg 532 g
6. 34 kg 497 g
7. 192 kg 826 g
8. 5 kg 300 g
9. 10 kg 900 g
10. 250, 80 g
11. 323 kg 231 g
12. (i) 935 kg 670 g
(ii) 571 kg 90 g
(iii) 91 kg 500 g
13. Ron weighs less by 16 kg 899 g
14. 20,300 kg
15. 3 kg 890 g
16. 4 kg 250 g
17. 3 kg 280 g
18. 39 kg 750 g
19. 2 kg 899 g
21. 189 kg 200 g
22. All can go, 425 kg 350 g
23. Alex weighs less by 4 kg 23 g
24. 6 kg 670 g
25. 1 kg 345 g
Measurement of Mass: