Let us consider some of the word problems on subtraction of money. We have solved the problems in both the methods i.e., with conversion into paise and without conversion into paise. To solve any word problem, we need to read each word carefully and select numbers carefully from the question to solve it.
Worked-out examples on subtraction of money:
1. Subtract Rs. 73.08 from Rs. 114.75
Method 1 (with conversion into paise):
Rs. 73.08 = 7300 paise + 08 paise = 7308 paise
Rs. 114.75 = 11400 paise + 75 paise = 11475 paise
- 7308 Paise
Therefore, difference of Rs. 73.08 from Rs. 114.75 = 4167 Paise = Rs. 41.67
Method 2 (without conversion into paise):
- 73. 08
(i) Rs. and Paise are arranged in columns with decimal point between them.
(ii) Smaller amount is placed under the larger amount.
(iii) Subtraction is made as ordinary subtraction.
(iv) 75 paise - 08 paise = 67 paise
(v) Rs. 114 - Rs. 73 = Rs. 41
Therefore, difference of Rs. 114.75 - Rs. 73.08 = Rs. 41.67
2. Ron has Rs 100 with him. He spent Rs 79 in purchasing a water bottle. How much money is left with him?
Total amount of money Ron had Rs 100.00
Amount of money he spent - Rs 79.00
Amount of money is left with him Rs 21.00
3. Mary had Rs 575 in her piggy bank. She took out Rs. 320 from it. How much money is left in her piggy bank?
Total amount of money in the piggy bank Rs 575.00
Amount of money taken out - Rs 320.00
Amount of money left in the piggy bank Rs 255.00
4. Rachel invited her friends for the birthday. Her mummy ordered a cake for Rs. 655.90 p and snacks for Rs. 275.80 [. She paid Rs. 1000 to the shopkeeper. How much change will she get back from the shopkeeper?
Amount Racheal’s mom paid Rs. 655.90 p for a cake and Rs. 278.80 p for snacks.
So, total amount she paid to the shopkeeper is Rs. 655.90 p + Rs. 275.80 p = Rs. 931.70 p.
Racheal’s mom paid Rs. 1000 to the shopkeeper.
So, shopkeeper will pay her Rs. 1000 – Rs. 931.70 p as a change
Rs. 1000 – Rs. 931.70 = Rs. 68.30.
Questions and Answers on Word Problems on Subtraction of Money:
1. Kelly spent Rs. 367.80 on a dress and she is left with Rs. 157.80 now. How much total money she had?
Answer: Rs. 525.60
2. Sam had Rs 500. He bought football shoes for Rs. 467. How much money is left with him?
Answer: Rs. 33
3. Mary invited her friends for the birthday. She bought a cake for Rs. 350 and gifts for Rs. 235.80. How much money did she spend in all?
Answer: Rs. 585.80
4. Brad had Rs. 609 with him. His father gave him Rs. 336 more. How much money does he have now?
Answer: Rs. 945
5. Gary went for picnic. He had Rs. 350 in his pocket. He purchased a key chain for Rs. 147. How much money is left with him?
Answer: Rs. 203
6. Add Rs. 133.60 and Rs. 35.40 and subtract the sum from Rs. 408.
Answer: Rs. 239
7. Shelly ordered waffle for Rs. 136. She gave Rs. 200 to the shopkeeper. How much change did she get back?
Answer: Rs. 64