Practice the questions given in the worksheet on word problems on proportion. The questions are based on the basic properties of proportions.
1. Find the fourth of a proportion whose first, second and third terms are 18, 27 and 32 respectively.
2. The length and breadth of a rectangle are in the ratio 5 : 4. If its length is 80 cm, find the breadth.
3. The ratio of the sale of eggs on a Sunday to that of the whole week of a grocery shop was 2 : 9. If the total sale of eggs in the same week was $360, find the sale of eggs on the Sunday.
4. The map of a rectangular field is drawn on a scale 1 : 90. If the actual length of the field is 180 m, what will it be on the map?
5. The ratio between the number of girls and the number of boys in a small school is 2 : 5. If the number of boys is 225; find:
(i) the number of girls in the school.
(ii) the number of students in the school.
6. It takes Sharon
45 minutes to walk 5 km. How long would it take her to walk 4 km at the same
speed? How far would she go in 90 minutes?
7. In a sports meet, group of boys and girls are to be formed. Each group consists of 4 boys and 6 girls. How many boys are required, if 102 girls are available for such grouping?
8. At a birthday party for 240 people, it was estimated that one bottle of cold drink would be sufficient for 4 people. How many bottles would be sufficient for 240 people?
Answers for the worksheet on word problems on proportion are given below to check the exact answers of the above questions on proportion.
2. 64 cm
4. 2 m
5. (i) 90
6. 36 min, 8 km
7. 68 boys