Problem solving on subtraction will help us to get the idea on how to solve the basic subtraction statement problems.
1. Eight birds sat on a wire. Three birds flew away. How many were left?
Total number of birds sat on a wire = 8
Number of birds flew away = 3
Therefore, number of birds left = 8 - 3 = 5
2. Sam had 7 dollars. He spent 4 dollars. How many dollars is he left with?
Total amount of money Sam had = $7
He spent = $4
Therefore, amount of money left with him = $7 - $4 = $3
3. Five boats were tied up. Four of the boats sailed away. How many were left?
Total number of boats tied up = 5
Number of boats sailed away = 4
Therefore, number of boats were left = 5 - 4 = 1
4. Ron had 10 stamps. His father took 2 stamps. How many stamps does Ron have now?
Total number of stamps Ron had = 10
Number of stamps his father took = 2
Therefore, number of stamps he have now = 10 - 2 = 8
5. Diana had 18 toffees. She gave 5 toffees to her friend. How many toffees left with her?
Total number of toffees Diana had = 18
Number of toffees she gave to her friend = 5
Therefore, number of toffees left = 18 - 5 = 13
More examples on statement problem solving on subtraction:
6. Mr. Daniel had 39 goats in a pasture. When he opened the pasture gate, 13 goats went out. How many goats remained in?
Total number of goats in a pasture Mr. Daniel had = 39
Number of goats went out = 13
Therefore, number of goats remained in = 39 - 13 = 26
7. Derek’s father is 47 years old. His mother is 35 years old. What is the difference of their ages?
Age of Derek’s father = 47 years
Age of his mother = 35 years
Therefore, difference of their ages = 47 - 35 = 12 years
2nd Grade Math Practice
From Problem Solving on Subtraction to HOME PAGE
Didn't find what you were looking for? Or want to know more information about Math Only Math. Use this Google Search to find what you need.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below. Ask a Question or Answer a Question.