Practice the questions given in the worksheet on simple word problems on proportion. The questions are based on the basic concept on proportions.
We know the product of extreme terms (i.e., 1st term and the 4th term) is equal to the product of middle terms (i.e., 2nd term and the 3rd term), then the four numbers are in proportions.
1. The first, second and the fourth terms of a proportion are 6, 18 and 75, respectively. Find its third term.
2. The ratio of the length and breadth of a football ground is 3 : 2. Find the length if the breadth is 28 metres.
3. The ratio of copper and zinc, in an alloy is 9 : 8. If the weight of zinc, in the alloy is 9.6 kg; find the weight of the copper in the alloy.
4. Income to expenditure ratio of a person is 8 : 7. His monthly income is $8000. What is his saving per month?
5. The ratio of the length to the width of a school ground is 5 : 2. Find its length, if width is 40 meters.
6. A bus travels 205 km on 20 liters of petrol. How much petrol will be needed to cover a journey of 369 km?
7. Find the second term of the proportion whose first, third and fourth terms are 9, 8 and 24 respectively.
8. The ratio of Science books to those on History is the same as the ratio of History books to those on Geography. The number of books on History is 400 and those on Geography 800, find the number of books on Science.
Answers for the worksheet on simple word problems on proportion are given below to check the exact answers of the above proportion problems.
2. 42 m
3. 10.8 kg
5. 100 m
6. 36 liters