Practice the questions given in the worksheet on word problems on ratio. The questions are based on dividing a given quantity into a given ratio.
1. $80 are to be divided between Alex and David in the ratio 5 : 11. How much does each get?
2. The ratio between two quantities is 3 : 4. If the first is $810, find the second.
3. A field is 80 m in length and 60 m in width. Find the ratio between its width and its length.
4. The age of a man is equal to the sum of the ages of his son and daughter. The ratio of the age of the son to that of the daughter is 5 : 4. If the age of the man is 45 years, find the ages of his son and daughter.
5. A profit of $2,500 is to be shared among three partners in the ratio 6 : 9 : 10. How much does each partner get?
6. Two numbers are in the ratio 10 : 11. Their sum is 168. Find the numbers.
7. Two friends A and B invest some money in a business in the ratio 13 : 12. They make a profit of $ 542600. How much should B receive as profit if the profit is proportional to the investment?
8. How will $105 be shared between Jack, Ken and Aaron; if Jack gets double of what Ken gets, and Ken gets double of what Aaron gets?
9. The subscription fee of a dancing academy is increased from $980 to $1000 per month. Find the ratio of the increased fee to the original fee.
10. In a housing complex the ratio of the number of males to that of the females is 4 : 3. If there were 20 males less and 10 females less then the ratio would have been 5 : 4. How many people were there in the complex?
11. Mr. Jones divides $4,500 among his three children Sam, Ron and Gary in such a way that Sam gets equal to four-times of what Ron gets and Ron gets equal to 2.5 times of what Gary gets. Find what each children get.
12. The length of a line segment AB is 8.1 cm. C is a point on AB such that AC : CB = 7 : 2. Find the length of AC and CB.
13. The population in a city is 180,000; out of which men are 1/3 of the whole population. Find the number of women. Also, find the ratio of the number of women to the whole population.
14. During a test match series of cricket three bowlers A, B and C together took 23 wickets. The ratio of wickets taken by A and B is 4 : 3, and the ratio of those taken by B and C is 2 : 3. Find the wickets taken by A, B and C.
Answers for the worksheet on word problems on ratio are given below to check the exact answers of the above ratio word problems.
1. Alex = $25; David = $55
3. 3 : 4
4. 25 years, 20 years respectively
5. $600, $900 and $1,000
6. 80, 88
7. $ 260448
8. Jack = $60, Ken = $30 and Aaron = $15
9. 1 : 49
11. Sam = $ 3,000; Ron = $ 750 and Gary = $ 300
12. AC = 6.3 cm, CB = 1.8 cm
13. 120,000; 2 : 3.
14. 8, 6, 9 respectively