Problem solving on subtraction will help us to get the idea on how to solve the basic subtraction statement problems.
1. Eight birds sat on a wire. Three birds flew away. How many were left?
Total number of birds sat on a wire = 8
Number of birds flew away = 3
Therefore, number of birds left = 8 - 3 = 5
2. Sam had 7 dollars. He spent 4 dollars. How many dollars is he left with?
Total amount of money Sam had = $7
He spent = $4
Therefore, amount of money left with him = $7 - $4 = $3
3. Five boats were tied up. Four of the boats sailed away. How many were left?
Total number of boats tied up = 5
Number of boats sailed away = 4
Therefore, number of boats were left = 5 - 4 = 1
4. Ron had 10 stamps. His father took 2 stamps. How many stamps does Ron have now?
Total number of stamps Ron had = 10
Number of stamps his father took = 2
Therefore, number of stamps he have now = 10 - 2 = 8
5. Diana had 18 toffees. She gave 5 toffees to her friend. How many toffees left with her?
Total number of toffees Diana had = 18
Number of toffees she gave to her friend = 5
Therefore, number of toffees left = 18 - 5 = 13
More examples on statement problem solving on subtraction:
6. Mr. Daniel had 39 goats in a pasture. When he opened the pasture gate, 13 goats went out. How many goats remained in?
Total number of goats in a pasture Mr. Daniel had = 39
Number of goats went out = 13
Therefore, number of goats remained in = 39 - 13 = 26
7. Derek’s father is 47 years old. His mother is 35 years old. What is the difference of their ages?
Age of Derek’s father = 47 years
Age of his mother = 35 years
Therefore, difference of their ages = 47 - 35 = 12 years