Practice the questions given in the worksheet on word problem on measuring length (i.e. addition and subtraction). Addition and subtraction in meters and centimeters is done in the similar way as in the case of ordinary numbers.
1. Shelly purchased 40 m 200 cm long rope and Jenny purchased 16 m 370 cm long rope. What is the total length of the ropes which both of them purchased?
2. Maya used 1 m 50 cm of red ribbon and 4 m 28 cm of blue ribbon to make a flower. How much ribbon did she use in all?
3. Peter wants to fence the park in front of his house on three sides, which measure 152 m 40 cm, 205 m 10 cm and 310 m 39 cms. Find the total length that is to be fenced.
4. Tailor used 1 m 235 cm of cloth to make a shirt and 2 m 105 cm to make trousers. What is the total length of cloth used by the tailor to make a shirt and trousers?
5. Aaron bought 15 m 380 cm curtain cloth which he found to be less. So, he again bought 9 m 560 cm in order to put curtains in the whole house. What is the total length of the cloth purchased by Aaron to make the curtains?
6. Mike is at a distance of 10 km 150 m. She travelled 8 km 260 m by bus and the rest on a rickshaw. Find the distance travelled by rickshaw.
7. Richard’s house is 7 km 300 m away from school and Alex’s house is 11 km 432 m away from school. Whose house is far and by how much?
8. A shopkeeper bought 580 m 279 cm of cloth. He found that 192 m 309 cm of cloth was damaged. What length of cloth was in good condition?
9. Ron had 54 m 20 cm of ribbon to make flowers. 29 m 39 cm was left unused. How much ribbon was used to make flowers?
Answers for the worksheet on word problem on measuring length (i.e. addition and subtraction) are given below.
1. 56 m 570 cm
2. 5 m 78 cm
3. 667 m 89 cm
4. 3 m 340 cm
5. 24 m 940 cm
6. 1 km 890 m
7. Alex’s house by 4 km 132 m
8. 387 m 970 cm
9. 24 m 81 cm
Measurement of Length: