Practice the questions provided in the worksheet on pipes and water tank.
We know, a water tank or a cistern is connected with two types of pipes to fill and empty it i.e. inlet and outlet. Work done by inlet is positive and work done by outlet is negative.
1. A pipe can fill the cistern in 7 hours. Due to a leakage in cistern it is filled in 8 hours. After the cistern is full, in how much time will it be emptied due to leakage?
2. A cistern can be filled by a tap in 5 hours and emptied by an outlet pipe in 6 hours. How long will it take to fill the cistern if both the taps and pipe are opened together?
3. A tank can be filled by one tap in 8 hours and by another in 12 hours. How long will it take to fill if both the taps are opened simultaneously?
4. A pipe can fill the tank in 4 hours. Due to leakage at the bottom it is filled in 5 hours. When the tank is full, in how much time will it be emptied by the leak?
5. A water tank can be filled by two taps A and B in 5 hours and 8 hours respectively. The full tank can be emptied by the third tap in 6 hours. If all the taps be opened at the same time, in how much time will the empty tank be filled up completely?
Answers for the worksheet on pipes and cistern or water tank are given below to check the exact answers of the above questions.
1. 56 hours
2. 30 hours
3. 4 4/5 hours
4. 20 hours
5. 6 6/19 hours