Practice the questions given in the worksheet on combining like terms and unlike terms. The questions are based on grouping and combining the like terms with addition & subtraction and problems on adding or subtracting terms that involves variables by combining like and unlike terms.
1. Find the sum of combining like terms:
(i) a + 2b – 3c; -3a + b +2c and 2a – 3b + c
(ii) -3x + 2y + z; x – 3y + 2z and 2x + y – 3z
(iii) 4p + 3q + 5r; -2p + 3q – 8r and p – q + r
(iv) a + b + c; 2a + 3b – 2c and 3a – 4b + c
(v) -17q – 2r + 23p; -9p + 15q + 7r and -13p + 3q – 4r
2. Subtract from:
(i) 3ab – 5bc + 8ca take -4ab + 2bc – 10ca(ii) 4m2 – 3m + 2 take -5m2 + 6m – 7
Now we will practice the word problems on addition and subtraction combining like terms provided in the worksheet on combining like terms.
3. To the sum of 2x – 3y - 2z and 2y – x + 7z at the sum of x – 4z + 7y and z – 6y.4. Subtract 3m – 7m3 + 5m2 from the sum of 2 + 8m2 – m3 and 2m3 – 3m2 + m – 2.
8. The sum of the two algebraic expressions is p – 2q + 3r. If one of them is 3p – q – 2r, find the other.
9. From the sum of x + y – z and 2x – 5y + 3z, subtract the sum of 4x – y + z and x – y – 4z10. By how much does 2z3 – 4z2 + z – 1 exceeded z3 – 2z2 + z + 1.
11. If the perimeter of a triangle is 2a + 17b + 6c and the two sides are 4a – 3b + 5c, 3a + 7b – 2c, find the third side.12. The two sides of a rectangle are 2p3 – 3q3 + 2r3 and -5p3 + 2q3 – 2r3. Find its perimeter.
Answers for the worksheet on combining like terms are given below to check the exact answers of the above problems.
1. (i) 0
(iii) 3p + 5q - 2r
(v) p + q + r
2. (i) 7ab – 7bc + 18ca(ii) 9m2 – 9m + 9
● Terms - Worksheets